6.14.2007

Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End (2007)

To be fair, I just say that I didn't see part II of this neverending saga. I really enjoyed the first of these films and some of the actors are top notch, so I didn't hesitate too much before jumping into the third film. What I got though was an almost 3 hour movie with so many plot twists that I stopped trying to enjoy it after 45 minutes. I had only seen the first movie, but I was already tired of Depp's antics and the ridiculous back and forth of who held the power.

The main thing that wrecked the film for me was that I consistently had no idea what was going on. The plot was so convoluted with pirate codes and legends and a dozen people vying for power. Surprises cease when the viewer can't predict what's going to happen next, and I couldn't even explain what had happened in the past!

As we know that the characters must return for parts 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, and 10, we don't fear for their lives as much as the film would like us to. It doesn't matter how many times a cannon is pointed at Johnny Depp or how many sword fights Orlando Bloom has, we always know who will win. As it seems that people don't actually die in this alternate universe when they are killed, it wouldn't matter if they did get stabbed in the heart.

Two things made the film bearable: the special effects and the two bumbling pirates. The special effects were astounding and seamless. There really is nothing they can't do on film anymore. The slapstick comedy offered by pirates Ragetti and Pintel made me laugh out loud.

This one soured it for me, it stopped being fun. I've seen enough special effects surrounding pirates to last me another 25 years. I don't think I'll make any efforts to see parts 2, 4-10 in the future. I wonder what Spiderman 3 is like...

Official Site | IMDB

3 comments:

Aimée said...

Thanks, Zaak.
I was pretty sure I didn't want to see this one, but now I know for certain!

P said...

So I think some of your confusion would be cleared up by seeing pirates 2. However, That would only slightly improve your understanding of the third and not the story. And as for spiderman three. Not worth it in my opinion, they lost the characters and went for cheesyness.

April said...

Well, it was a fun movie but really too much happening... Spider man 3 was a horrible flop! Mary Jane sings badly and the bad guys aren't really so bad...