2.14.2008

Dial M for Murder (1954)

I got a couple dozen Hitchcock films and this is the first of these that I'm reviewing here. I didn't realize that I had seen the remake The Perfect Murder with Michael Douglas, Gwyneth Paltrow, and Viggo Mortensen a few years ago.

Based on a play, Hitchcock shot it like a play almost entirely inside a London apartment - and really like a TV set where you never see the back wall. The camera moves gently and intrusively in long takes through the room letting the characters conceal their deception. And deception is the name of this game. First the adulterous couple, then the scheming murderers, then the police as they try to trap the murderers.

We watch in suspense as plans are foiled and as minutes roll in real time. I've got to add that Grace Kelly is quite the looker, I can see why she became the princess of Monaco.

IMDB

No comments: