7.12.2007

The Machinist (2004)

When I saw this last summer for the first time I was so discouraged because I realized I could never make a film this good. This, after I started working on an outline for a screenplay based loosely on Crime and Punishment; The Machinist turns out to be an amazing adaptation of the book.

Well, me feeling sorry for myself shouldn't take anything away from this perfect film. They shot it in Spain, though it's set in a suburb of L.A. because their financing was in Spain. Christian Bale lost 63 pounds to play the role of the emaciated Trevor Reznik (loosely named after Nine Inch Nails front man Trent Reznor). The director, Brad Anderson, shot most of the movie lying on a gurney because of severe back pain. This film was clearly meant to be made.

Our hero is a machinist who suffers from severe insomnia - in fact he's not slept in a year. He's a nice guy and people like him. His life slowly unravels through an accident at work and as a conspiracy is slowly unveiled to destroy his life. His only comfort is a friendly callgirl.

The feel of the film is a feverish nightmare, but not without reprieve. There are some tender moments where we get to know this gaunt character. The film essentially is a puzzle that is beautifully put together; it is worth watching it a second time just to see how intricate the writing is.

I can't criticize anything in this film.

This easily will last as one of my favorite films for years to come.

IMDB

No comments: