9.11.2007

My Big Fat Greek Wedding (2002)

I believe the magic of this film is the simplicity of the story and the simplicity of the attraction between the Greek girl and her muse. Of course the over-the-top family is very entertaining too.

Because of the simplicity of the love shown in the film, there really isn't much to say about it. Both lovers are desiring companionship and they are willing to take the heat for it. It's good.

Watching Greek culture through the eyes of a Greek comedienne is enlightening. Truly we are all the same. I can identify with my proud Acadian heritage and our sometimes excessive assertion of lofty culture (fully justifiable too). What is the most fun is how we don't even notice how others laugh at us.

One of the best monologues in film history, spoken by SCTV alumnus Andrea Martin:

You family now, so I tell you a story. All my life ... I have this lump on the back of my neck. When I reach the menopause, the lump get bigger. I go to the doctor, and he performs a ... bo-bo-bobopsy. And inside the lump, he finds teeth, and a spinal column. The lump ... it was my twin.
This film really nails the genre of romantic comedy which was honed to near disgusting perfection through the previous two decades. Normal people in love with something besides their own neuroticism to create conflict.

IMDB

No comments: