3.15.2008

Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street (2007)

Saw meets The Little Mermaid meets The Count of Monte Cristo. As I began to comment how little blood (one murder) there was in the film at the 74 minute mark, the blood began to flow. And flow. And flow. I'm not a horror film fan and nor do I expect to ever be one. I watched this one because I respect the film makers and gave them the benefit of the doubt.

The murders are brutal and graphic. The music is enjoyable. The sets and costumes are intriguing and as with all Tim Burton films, extremely original. The acting was naturally top notch as well.

As usual, I try to take whatever value I can from each film I watch. Despite its gory nature, I didn't have a hard time finding the thread of truth in the film. Even though the demon barber had ample reason to seek revenge, the vengeance worked against him and ultimately destroyed him and his family. The film also plays on the viewers desire to see justice (see the evil judge killed) rather than seeing mercy. We realize in the end that mercy would have played much better.

Official Site | IMDB

No comments: