3.14.2008

Heights (2005)

This is a sharp commentary on post-modern relationships and identity, albeit in the ultra-urban and super rich setting of New York City pop culture.

The film centers on the life of an engaged couple where every turn finds some kind of opposition to their planned marriage: the interfering mother, the man's secret past, different religions, a job opportunity, ex-boyfriends, etc. The film plays on people's desire to see a relationship work.

The writing is what impressed me the most and this isn't surprising as it is based on a play Plays can't rely on glitzy camera work and CGI to propel them to success, they have to rely on good old fashioned words.

Heights helps us understand more of how we define ourselves by revealing how we treat our relationships.

Official Site | IMDB

2 comments:

amber {daisy chain} said...

9 stars? This one sounds great, I'll rent it and let you know what I think. I'm drawn to chick flicks and indie films for the most part -the "No Country for Old Men" big hollywood films don't seem to do it for me.

Zaak said...

I'm with you on big hollywood films, but when an indie film maker makes it big, they get to make big budget movies - take the guy who made Batman Begins and the Coen bros. No Country for Old Men was superb.

I look forward to your assessment of Heights. It certainly has some good points.