7.12.2009

The Man Who Fell to Earth (1976)

My views on this movie may be biased as I had recurring nightmares about it as I suffered from food poisoning all night after watching it. In a way, the film made me feel ill.


David Bowie carries this oddity on his shoulders. His role is an alien who comes to earth to find water for his desertified planet. He uses his superior knowledge to build superior electronics to make a fortune to accomplish his goal. Meanwhile, earthlings try to take advantage of the well meaning, though easily persuaded alien.

A 70's flick wouldn't be complete without disco, sex, and drugs and this film is a heaping plate full of 70's pop. I wasn't emotionally moved by much of anything, just intrigued by the styles and perceptions in the film. Certainly a classic on such merits.

No comments: