1.31.2009

Dancer in the Dark (2000)

Lars von Trier brings us the tragedy of an afflicted immigrant woman played by the glorious Bjørk. What lifts this film to a higher plain still is the fact that it is a musical.


Bjørk's character plays a single mother who works in a factory. Her eyesight is failing and her son is slightly truant. Her landlord neighbour is burdened with financial problems and her part in the community production of the Sound of Music become increasingly difficult. The tale spirals downward in its testimony of American justice.

Jesus said, "I was hungry and you fed me, I was thirsty and you gave me a drink, I was homeless and you gave me a room, I was shivering and you gave me clothes, I was sick and you stopped to visit, I was in prison and you came to me." This film is a modern day parable, with a tremendous soundtrack to boot!

Official Site | IMDB

No comments: